Friday, February 28, 2014

Oscar Snubs

Let's be real: 2013 was a good year for movies. Like, a really, really good year. We don't have any Crashes or Argos that threaten to devalue the meaning of the bald guy-- whichever film takes home the Best Picture Oscar on Sunday, one thing is clear: it deserves to do so. I haven't felt this way about the Oscar nominations in a very long time.
Pontificating about the glory of Hollywood in 2013 will be saved for another post next week. But, in such a jam-packed awards season with so many heavy-hitters elbowing their way to the winner's circle, it's inevitable that some top films have simply been left behind. When the Academy Award nominations were announced back in January, you could almost hear all of the overlooked talent channeling Marlon Brandon and wailing, "I coulda been a contender!"

So, here's to the unsung talents from 2013:

5. Tom Hanks.
Yes, I realize it's Tom Hanks. But he delivered two memorable performances this year-- as Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks and the title character in Captain Phillips. While Captain Phillips was uneven at times, Tom Hanks' performance was absolutely riveting. The last 10 minutes or so of the film were particularly stunning-- THanks delivered a master class.

4. Gatsby
I realize that Baz from Oz's adaptation of The Great Gatsby wasn't everyone's cup of tea. (I, for one, loved it. Read my review here.) But I do think it should've been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Luhrmann was obviously in love with the book and did a commendable job brushing the dust off a classic to make it sexy, original, and over-the-top.

3. The Hobbit: Best Original Song
Easily one of the best songs to come out of this movie season was "I See Fire" from The Hobbit. I can't listen to it without getting chills. While I still think Frozen's "Let It Go" should and will win, it would have been nice for Ed Sheeran to get acknowledgement from the Academy for this song.

2. Prisoners
In my opinion, this was easily one of the best films that I saw all year. Seriously. I will be remembering, recommending, and rewatching this film long after I forget the likes of American Hustle or The Wolf of Wall Street. Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal both deliver the best performances of their career.

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
Why did everyone ignore this gem of a picture?! It's melancholy, passionate, complex, allegorical, profound, moving, masterful.... I could go on and on. In short, the fact that this isn't on the Best Picture list (or Best Actor list-- Oscar Isaac was phenomenal) is an absolute travesty. Also, the soundtrack to this film will be a legend one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment