Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Island of Misfit Toys


The Perks of Being a Wallflower snuck up on me.  I went into it with little expectations, thinking it would be another book adaptation that did not measure up to the original material.  I’m glad to say I was wrong.  There is something special about this movie. 

When developing books into movies, it is an extraordinary occurrence for an author to be involved in the making of the adaptation.  Stephen Chbosky, however, took his involvement to the next level.  Chbosky produced, wrote and directed the film, making it an absolute labor of love.  He even fought for the movie to have a PG-13 rating instead of the R it was originally given.  The audience gets the sense of that throughout the film.  You feel a sense of acceptance because you are watching what the author wants you to see.  

In terms of the actors, there are two standout performances in Perks.  Logan Lerman plays the main character Charlie, and he does so with such sincerity.  The audience feels as if they are voyeurs looking into a life they’re not meant to see.  We, the audience, are the "Dear Friend" he writes his anonymous letters to.  Ezra Miller also deserves to be recognized for his stellar portrayal of Patrick, the outgoing boy with a passion for life and secrets he has to keep hidden.  He plays the highs and lows of his character so brilliantly, and I hope to seem him on the big screen for years to come.  Chobsky gives the main characters time to develop, and I appreciated that as a moviegoer.  I believe in a story more when the people are flawed, and these characters certainly are.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower doesn’t shy away from the fact that life is hard.  Not just for adults, but for teenagers, too.  You go through this point in your life when you’re expected to figure everything out: what you want to do, and who you want to be.  That’s scary enough as it is.  But combine with that the outside word and all the crazy stuff that happens, and it’s enough to bring you to your knees sometimes.  This movie is about the people and the things that help you stand back up again.  It’s about the moments when you feel that you are a part of something bigger than yourself.  You may stumble and fall, as Charlie does, but you get back up again, determined to make the most out of the life you are given.

I know I sound like I’m gushing about this movie, and I probably am.  In my opinion, it deserves all of the praise.  That is why it is on the top of my list for favorite movies of 2012.  

-The Southern Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment